Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Ghosts of Halloween

(Past, Present, and Future)

Sexy Witch, Prom Scream Queen, Jedi Warrior Princess

I like to recycle Halloween costumes that I really like, and wear them for two or three years to get the most enjoyment out of them. These three costumes have carried me through the last eight years or so:

Halloween 2011

Halloween 2012

Halloween 2013

Halloweens 2014 and 2015

Halloween 2016

I think I decided to go as Alice in Wonderland at the last minute because it was really cold and I thought the thigh-high socks would give me a little extra warmth while trick 'r' treating. Excessively cold Halloweens are always a bummer. Who wants to go to all the trouble of stripping down and dressing like a slut, only to have to put on a heavy winter jacket and cover up?

Halloweens 2017 and 2018

So I'm thinking that next year I might try out something new. What do you think I should be? I've been looking at some Poison Ivy costumes. She's a sexy character - although that's true of all the female Batman supervillains. Harley Quinn is a little overdone right now (not that I'm complaining), but it might be fun to go as Catwoman and dress myself in head to toe black leather... Still, I'd prefer to keep my costumes thematically appropriate - more scary than geeky. Not that there's anything wrong with dressing up like a superhero or a cartoon or comic book character (not at all), just that there are better times for that - this is Halloween, not a comic convention.


I've always wanted to do a Freddy Krueger costume - they have a cute version for women where the sweater is converted into a dress. I'd just need to find a good quality glove to go with it - the ones they sell in stores are cheap, plastic, and comically oversized. I guess I'm spoiled because I saw a replica Freddy Krueger glove at a toy show once that was really well made. It had real metal blades (presumably unsharpened), and a weight to it - it felt good on my hand. At the time, I thought the price tag of $50 was a little steep, but in hindsight, I regret not buying it. I actually came back the next day and it was already gone. It may seem trivial to shell out good money for what amounts to a prop, but as you can see, I paid over a hundred dollars to get a decent quality lightsaber for my Jedi Warrior Princess costume. It makes a difference. Both in appearance - for the sake of pictures - and just for the fun of the costume. Now I wish I could get a more accurate and well-made version of that slave outfit. The cheap, costume version is overly modest, compared to movie canon...


No comments:

Post a Comment