Saturday, October 13, 2018

Try This On For Size (Girly Version)

So, this time, I was shopping in the children's department for a change. Most of the clothes won't fit me, of course, but every once in awhile I'll find something in a larger size that I can manage, and be pleasantly surprised. I don't care if anyone thinks it's weird; I like the ultra-girly aesthetic - sparkles and unicorns and mermaids (and other clichés). I resent the fact that women are expected to grow out of these things as they mature. I never had a proper girlhood phase because when I was growing up, I was under the mistaken impression that I was a boy (having a penis can do that to you). Sure, I enjoyed my Jurassic Park clothes and whatnot (girls can like dinosaurs, too), but now if I want to dress up in a sequined butterfly dress, I'm faced with the difficulty of finding one in a size that will fit an adult, much less a male (since, even at full size, women are statistically smaller than men) - and don't get me started on shoes...


This is what I wore to the store. (It was damn hot that day). It is itself a shirt I bought at Justice at the mall - the silver volleyball shimmers in sunlight. I was actually hoping to find some belly shirts (as you can see, I had to tie this one off at the back). All the ones I've had have gotten worn out (surprisingly fast). They're so sexy, though, and now that I'm trim enough to show off my midriff with confidence, I owe it to myself (and the world) to wear them more often.


I was thinking that I could use some more tank tops (especially fashionable ones, as opposed to plain white), although I worry sometimes, because of the way they frame my chest and arms, about giving off a more masculine sort of vibe (e.g., bodybuilder, surfer dude). I agree with the sentiment, though - life is definitely better in flip flops!


Requisite butterflies. Wish I'd gotten a better picture of the front of this shirt - it has a cute bow on it. I don't know why some people think adorability is demeaning. I mean, besides the fact that little girls and baby animals have the reputation for being sweet and helpless. If looking at something (or someone) makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside (the "d'awww" effect), that's a good thing, right? Some people like skulls because they're dark and brooding. Other people like butterflies because they're light and playful. Both tastes are legitimate. Anyway, as Madonna once explained, if you dislike something primarily because of its association with girliness, that belies an underlying lack of appreciation for girls and everything they stand for. I like girls (girls are awesome!), so to me "girliness" is a positive quality.


This off-the-shoulder look is so cute. It makes me think of dance.


Forgive me, but every time I see a "shrug", I can't help wondering what it would be like wearing it all by itself. So I had to try it out. It seems perfectly shaped to cover my nipples (although not very securely, as an overhead stretch would likely leave me completely exposed). It's definitely a different sort of look - though not a bad one, I think.


I thought this dress was very cute. The top almost looks sporty. It's even worse at hiding my nipples than that shrug was, though. :-x


I asked a friend whom I consider to be an amateur fashion consultant to pick an outfit for me from the racks (just for fun), and this is what she came up with. It looked very cute on me, although the shorts were a bit tight. It was also more expensive than the other pieces I tried on. But it was a lot of fun! I hope to do it again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment