Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Best Dress

Here's a crazy idea that I hope will be a lot of fun. Every so often, I get the urge to photograph myself in all kinds of different outfits pulled from my own closet. It sort of acts as a way to document my wardrobe. Well, I thought about all the dresses I tend to collect (quite a few of which I never seem to have an opportunity to wear), and I got it into my head that I would photograph them all.


Let me tell you, if I had known what I was getting myself into, I never would have begun this project. I vastly underestimated the number of dresses I own (at least 70 in sum total, when all is said and done - although I trimmed it down to 64, removing some of the broken and worn out dresses that I can't actually wear), and was so exhausted shooting (and filming!) them, that I had to break the shoot down across two nights, leaving the tripods in position overnight.

But now that I have a shot of every dress* I own (at the time of shooting; I've already added a few more to my wardrobe since then -_-;), I think it would be fun to play a little game - a tournament, in which you get to vote on my best dress! I've already paired the dresses into match-ups, and organized them into brackets. I just need to figure out the venue for this tournament, because it will be a waste if there's not enough participation. I'm thinking deviantART, since that's the photo-sharing site where I'm currently most active, but I'm not sure yet how best to present the tournament.

In the meantime, here are some shots that probably won't make it into the tournament, just because, well, you know...I'm not wearing a dress. =p


*For the purposes of this tournament, I'm defining a "dress" as any single garment (i.e., one that does not need to be paired with a separate top or bottom) that functions as an outfit designed to be worn in public, and whose bottom half ends in a skirt and not shorts or pants (i.e. there must be no seam between the legs). Technically, this does not include nightwear such as lingerie, pajamas, or robes, but there are a few exceptions just because I felt like it. I considered excluding costumes and holiday-themed dresses to lighten my workload, but since I split the shoot across two nights, I ended up adding them in after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment