Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Hypocrisy of Chastity


I don't understand why people get so upset about the visceral reaction humans are programmed to have to other humans' bodies. It's like, our sole purpose as living organisms is to procreate, and towards that end, nature has given us "physical desires" - and we've even used our intelligence to enable us to extract the pleasure from sex without getting tangled up in the complicated process and extended responsibilities of procreation.

But still, people in "polite" society insist on believing that if you acknowledge or indulge in these physical desires, then you're sub-human. I doubt that the Christian church is solely responsible, but their emphasis on the divinity of celibacy doesn't help. So we all go through life more and less (mostly less) successfully pretending that we're not moved by one of the greatest pleasures of our mortal existence - the pleasure of the flesh - when we all know in our hearts that we're just miserable hypocrites.

I feel like I just want to scream at people, "get real!" Life is short, and I don't have time to deal with society's institution of face-saving lies.

"Let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."
 - Bob Dylan (from All Along The Watchtower)

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely.

    It's funny that you talk about being hypocritical, considering the conversation I had yesterday with a delightful 80+ gentleman, and world traveler, at a birthday party. He told the story of his visit to Machu Picchu. On their way to the site the tour group stopped at a museum to view a display of fetishes. They warned people not to go if they would be offended by sexual images. Well, one couple went, and then made a big fuss about how dare they take them to view such an exhibit, that they were going to complain to the management, and on and on. Later, when the group was ready to leave, the couple couldn't be found. The tour guide went back into the museum to look for them and found them in the x-rated section viewing and taking pictures of the most sexual images – thinking they were alone.

    By the way, I like your swim suit. It looks hot, and looks great on your body, especially from that low angle. I think it's cute how the drawstrings in front "dangle" right where something else dangles, and that they sort of "draw the eye", so to speak, to that area. Kind of a nice way to focus attention on the sexiest part of the suit, and give people an excuse for looking there, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I actually laughed out loud when you got to the part about them taking the pictures. Typical, right? Maturity is being able to handle this aspect of life, not losing it whenever you're exposed to it. How come immaturity is honored in our society, then?

    I like the swimsuit, too. It fits me well (skimpy though it is), and my butt looks really good in it, too. Plus, the bright pink is a great color. I get a little self-conscious wearing it sometimes, just because it's so flashy, and I don't know what other people are going to think, but I like it. It looks good on me, so why shouldn't I wear it?

    ReplyDelete