Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Skinny Dip Falls


I was disappointed to hear about the controversy surrounding access rights to Skinny Dip Falls in Chautauqua County, NY as of this spring. And I wanted to get out there and experience it before it was too late. Reports seem to be mixed on how serious the situation is. I personally witnessed a nosy neighbor monitoring vehicles parking in the nearby turnout. But though "no trespassing" signs were posted on the adjacent property, the creek was still clearly marked out for public fishing. And I was not the only nude hiker in the gorge that day.


I've freehiked wilderness trails before, and gone skinny dipping countless times at rivers, lakes, and on beaches. But almost always in a surreptitious manner. What's novel about this spot is its history and reputation for nudism (clearly marked, in one of the more conscientious examples of spray painting on rocks that I've seen). Unlike other occasions, where I've been anxious about running into other people, it was exhilarating being able to hike nude and not worry about who I came across (as they would have been amply warned of the possibility of encountering nudity). Indeed, I did encounter a few people while hiking nude, with whom I traded a friendly (and completely unselfconscious) greeting. Most notable was a group of four seasoned hikers who had entered the gorge ahead of me, one of which was himself hiking au naturel (and sporting the nudists' telltale all-over tan).


We need more places like this in the world. Places where people can enjoy the natural beauty of our planet, and do so nude if they choose, without worrying about offending others who make different choices. Places that aren't fenced in and don't require admission fees (although I wouldn't mind paying $7 for the peace of mind to enjoy this trail without hassle or fear of being towed or ticketed for trespassing, while contributing to the local economy - which we most certainly did do while in the area). Places that aren't rooted to a landed community that, no matter how friendly, will inevitably make you feel like a guest and an outsider (with an intimidating list of rules, when all you really need to do is just use common sense). We need to do what it takes to keep these precious few places available to the public, which means fighting for them, but also using them responsibly and practicing good stewardship of the environment.


Because if my experience in the natural paradise of my own metaphorical backyard is any indication, it's not generally the people who want to take their clothes off that are a public nuisance; it's the drunks and the self-entitled egoists who can't see past their own desire to party, and who think the planet is their trash can, that tend to ruin it for the rest of us. And when I tell you not to blame their mess on us nudists, I say that as the naked person who has repeatedly had to pick up others' trash while shaking my head at the tasteless, bigoted graffiti with which they've stained the natural landscape we all must share. Let us not lose sight of who the true villain is here. Because it's not the person who just wants to take advantage of a hard-to-find opportunity to enjoy nature without wearing clothes.

3 comments:

  1. I hope one day your wishes and dreams will come true zharth.
    And that all humans will be respectful between themself and toward nature.
    And that lil' Paradises like this would be more and more accessible to lovers of real nature.
    Dreams are keeping us alive and hoping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'm just gonna take what joy I can find in this life until I'm gone.

      Delete
    2. It's the only way not to be constantly disappointed

      Delete