Monday, February 13, 2023

100 Nude Ideas (1-20)

While browsing the web, I found this list of 100 ideas "to increase nude time and nudist friends", on the naturist blog Nude & Happy. I thought it would be fun to go through the list and check off each idea I've tried. There's a healthy mix of practical advice, fantastical pipe dreams, and a few left-field suggestions.

To make things even more interesting, I decided to illustrate the list with 100 of my own photographs! I made considerable effort to find images relevant to each item, but I had to use a little bit of artistic license here and there. In the end, I think it makes for a fascinating look back over more than 15 years of taking nude self-portraits. Let's begin!


#1 Join a nudist club.

I probably should do this. I think it's safe to say that I'm committed to nudism. But I have an anti-establishment streak (you don't need a membership card to be a nudist). And not a lot of money. Aside from a newsletter and the possibility of discounted rates, what are AANR and TNS actually doing for me? It's not clear. And what else would I be funding? I like the idea of supporting local resorts, but do I want to be tied down to a single location? Especially when I can only visit a few times a year? Plus, sometimes you have to jump through hoops ("you must be sponsored!"), and are then expected to volunteer to work whenever you visit. I'm comfortable being a freelance nudist.


#2 Be naked at home.

This is where it all started for me - in my own bedroom. Over the years, I've gradually expanded my range, to the whole house, and even out into the yard. Nowadays, I'm naked at home every single day. When it's cold, I might throw on a robe, but that's it. The only time I wear clothes at home (other than during fashion photoshoots) is when there are guests over. Living in a truly clothing optional world is a nice fantasy, but in my experience, finding textiles who are comfortable around casual nudity is very rare.


#3 Hike naked.

I do this a lot. There's a question of whether to do it surreptitiously, or to be out and proud, and arguments to be made for each approach. I support the latter on principle, but more often practice the former, out of an abundance of caution. You never know who you're going to run into, and I don't want to bother anyone. I would also hate for my behavior to reflect poorly on nudism in the mind of a stranger. And, quite simply, I don't want to get in trouble. So I try my best to balance my freedom, with respect for the differing viewpoints of others (even when that same respect is not given to me in return).


#4 Participate in a naked run.

I've done this, on the grounds of a nudist resort. Not as thrilling as streaking in public through a crowd of textiles (I assume), but it was still fun. I like activities that draw a younger, fitter crowd. I'd do it again.


#5 Subscribe to a naturist magazine.

I've considered doing this. But I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to know if there's one worth subscribing to. I've read some scans of some older magazines that I thought were interesting, and it was more than just trip reports and paid advertising. But nowadays you can easily find good discussions and nudist photography online. Still, I'd like to give it a try.


#6 Speak to your friends about naturism.

I've done this. About 15 years ago I got into nudism, and it didn't take me long to "come out" to my inner circle (informing the outer circle would come later). To my knowledge, none of them have adopted the lifestyle to any significant degree (aside from my partner, thankfully), but they don't think any less of me for being a nudist. Which is no less than I expected, because I'm not in the habit of making friends with the sort of person who would.


#7 Leave your naturist magazines on your coffee table.

I suppose I'd have to subscribe to one first. I like this idea in theory, but you have to consider who comes to your house. Do you really want to be the person accused of exposing somebody's kids to "nudie mags"? I have nudist-friendly materials elsewhere in my house, that are accessible without being demanding. The coffee table is an invitation. The bedroom or study is a better place for those kinds of things.


#8 Organize a naked dinner.

There are going to be a lot of items on this list that I fail by default, just because I'm not much of a social butterfly. The problem is, I don't even organize clothed dinners! And inviting people to my house isn't really my idea of a good time. But even if it were, my family and friends aren't nudists. Nobody would show up, and I'd look like a fool for even suggesting it. I think this one is better relegated to fantasy. At least until I make more local nudist friends (and I'm not holding my breath for that).


#9 Go on a nakation.

Now this is one that I can say, without a doubt, that I've done. At least once a year, and usually more frequently than that. I'm always looking for opportunities to get naked, whether I'm traveling or staying close to home. But I've spent lots of weekends (and at least one whole week) deliberately vacationing at a nudist resort, too.


#10 Start a non-landed club.

I can't see this one happening. Not until I get those imaginary local nudist friends. You see, I feel like an oasis in a desert of textiles, and social networking is not my strong suit. I have attended meetings for a non-landed club, though - albeit in a different town. I like that their activities are more varied than what you usually see at resorts, which seem to attract an older demographic. If I were to start my own club, it would be about going to parks (moreso than people's houses, or finagling "nude time" at businesses - which I don't see flying around here), and taking the opportunity to create nude art. That would be cool.


#11 Go on a naked cruise.

I don't think I'm old enough for that yet. If I were interested in going on a cruise, I would definitely love to go on a naked one. I think I'd prefer to keep my feet on solid ground, though. And after COVID, cruises are definitely not high on my list of vacation prospects.


#12 Subscribe to this blog and share it.

What is this, thinly-veiled self-advertisement? I don't subscribe to blogs lightly, but I'm sharing it here, aren't I? :-p


#13 Hang a clothing-optional sign.

I've had one hanging up for years. I even put a "nudity required" sign on my bedroom door. Nobody respects it (unfortunately), but it's right out in the open, and it gets the point across. (And it gives me an ironclad excuse in case anybody walks in on me - "you were warned!").


#14 Ask for permission to get naked while at friends'.

I'm more of a "read the atmosphere" kind of person. And I don't know a lot of people who are comfortable in "mixed company". I'm also not very social, so I don't spend a lot of time at other people's houses. There have been occasions in the past when I've been nude in the presence of textile friends and family, but it's not often, and it's usually on my turf.


#15 Drive naked.

I do this on occasion. If you pick the right circumstances, you can minimize your chances of causing a scandal. I mostly do it at night on long drives on the interstate, but also in the summer when I've just come from swimming. As long as you keep a cover-up on hand for unexpected emergencies, obey all traffic laws, and avoid things like manned tollbooths and drive-through windows, you should be fine. After all, when was the last time you noticed what somebody in another car was wearing?


#16 Live entirely naked for 24 hours.

As a homebody, I've done this countless times. During 2020, I took advantage of pandemic lockdowns to do this for over 365 days in a row! But the first time was when I was new to nudism. My folks were out of the house on an overnight trip, so I resolved to spend the entire day utterly without clothes. From the night before, through breakfast, lunch, and dinner, until the morning after. It was exhilarating!


#17 Participate in a WNBR.

I want to! But they're too few and far between. And just when I was ready to make the trip, COVID happened. I still hope to do it someday soon. In the meantime, I've been attending "underwear bike rides" closer to home. It might not be the same, but it's pretty close. I'm still riding in a crowd through an urban city center - wearing only a thong!


#18 Garden naked.

I spend all kinds of time out in my garden naked, including doing as much yard work as possible in the nude. In fact, that's how my neighbor found out I'm a nudist! The house had been vacant (which is why I was caught off guard), and I wasn't aware that she had moved back in. Thankfully, she wasn't upset, but was in fact quite friendly. So my habits haven't changed.


#19 Participate in nudist forums.

Been there, done that. I enjoy discussing issues related to nudism, with other like minds. But I have also experienced a lot of judgment, stereotyping, and discrimination from nudists based on the fact that I'm sex-positive, and that I also enjoy erotic art. So I've distanced myself a little bit from that community online. I still talk to nudists about nudism on social media, but I don't seek them out as much I used to anymore.


#20 Participate in World Naturism Day.

There are so many unofficial nude holidays out there - I never even heard of this one! How do you make one stick? Regardless, the trouble with these holidays is that they don't give you enough of an excuse to risk an indecent exposure charge. I'll engage in nudism both at home and abroad on any given Tuesday. So what makes these days special? Perhaps the key is to focus less on observance and more on awareness - to use these holidays to spread the word to family and friends and anonymous strangers alike. I've definitely done that before.

(To be continued...)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading you zharth. I agree with all you said and love your sense of humour. And if I was your neighbor, I would love you to feel free to enjoy yourself. You are a very beautiful person in every sense of the term

    ReplyDelete