Saturday, October 22, 2022

Crystal Lake Campout

One of the limitations of self-portrait photography is that you only ever have one model to shoot. Cloning is a technique I've learned to use to construct portraits that at least create the illusion of working with multiple subjects. To do this, I set up my camera in one spot, and then pose as if I were different people. Then, I stitch the images together on a computer, using photo editing software.

One of my early cloning experiments, which I performed in 2010, was an image depicting a slumber party with four separate characters, exhibiting distinct personalities (athlete, fashionista, flirt, and socialite). Coordinating their outfits - different types of pajamas - was part of the fun. The following year, I created a sequel to this image, inspired by the slasher flick Slumber Party Massacre. This time, it involved a series of images, including establishing shots for each of the characters, leading up to the climax which featured all the characters in a single group shot. I also introduced a fifth character - the stalker/slasher. In 2013, I completed the trilogy, with a variation on the original image, reimagined as a campout.

For a number of years, those images stood alone. Then, in 2019, I spontaneously decided to remake Slumber Party with a "new" generation of characters, shot in my new home. Using my accumulated experience both as a photographer and as a model, I set out to create my best "slumber party" image yet - and I think I succeeded. I let it rest for a couple of years, until last fall, when I felt ready to take on the sequel - a remake of the Slumber Party Massacre. This time, I had a Freddy Krueger costume in my closet, so it was an obvious choice to do an homage to A Nightmare on Elm Street. I called it Elm Street Dreams.

As soon as it was completed, I had the perfect idea for completing the trilogy and remaking Slumber Party Campout. What better choice, to mirror Freddy's appearance in Elm Street Dreams, than to buy a Jason costume and do an homage to Friday the 13th? I acquired the outfits, and planned the shoot for late summer. And what better location than the local lake and campground I was intimately familiar with, from repeated summer visits over the past two seasons? So now I present to you, the culmination of the Slumber Party Remake Trilogy - Crystal Lake Campout!


The fashionista carries her shoes across a gurgling stream in her pastel sundress and long flowing hair, unaware of the threat stalking her through the woods.


The flirt searches for a spot to lay out in the sun in her skimpy bikini, before taking a dip in the lake. Behind her, Jason is keeping a watchful eye - all too aware of the dangers of swimming alone.


The socialite approaches the camp office, dressed in her Girl Scout uniform. The park ranger is absent, but Jason is there to receive her!


The athlete effortlessly scales a cliff face, dressed like one of her favorite gaming icons. What she doesn't know is that Jason is hot on her heels!


The girls gather at their campsite to settle in for the night. The athlete gathers wood for the fire the socialite needs to toast marshmallows, while the fashionista sets up the tent, and the flirt absorbs the last of the sun's rays. Just then, an uninvited guest emerges from the woods. But this is no nightmare - this time, the danger is all too real! What will become of our slumber party girls? Will we ever see them again? Not even I can answer that question...

1 comment:

  1. You have so great talent and you are so creative with amazing imagination.
    It's such a pleasure to admire your great piece of Art.
    On the fourth pic (athlete) you look like Lara Croft.
    Would be so hot to see you using that icon for another amazing post 😉😍

    ReplyDelete