Tuesday, September 4, 2018

"Myak" Kayak



I bought my first kayak (pictured here) several years ago. It's an inflatable. Its main advantages were its cheap price (relatively speaking - kayaks can get pretty expensive), and its portability. At the time, I lived in an apartment, and I didn't have anywhere to store a hard shell kayak, not to mention a convenient way of transporting it. Now that I live in a house with a garage, that has changed. And I've been itching to try a hard shell kayak. So I bought a kid-sized one (again, for its cheap price and portability - I can carry it by myself), that was rated for my weight. And while the inflatable - which is more akin to a boat that you sit in, than a board that you sit on - is better for longer voyages where you need to stow some baggage, the hard shell kayak feels more like a "toy", in the sense that it's fun to play with and do tricks on, if you're sticking close to the shore. I've even used it as a makeshift stand up paddle board! (Those things are huge, and expensive). You also get more wet on it, which again contributes to its sense of fun - and it's easier to navigate than my other kayak, which is essentially a blow-up raft. I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment