Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Haunted by an Apparition of Beauty

I have this vision inside of my head. It's probably inspired by early experiences of viewing naturist photography, especially from a time long past when the lifestyle emphasized fitness and vitality (instead of uncritical body acceptance - for better and worse).

It is a vision of grace and beauty; lithe young bodies unselfconsciously exposed and nonchalantly inhabiting either the natural or the manmade world (either one delights the senses). There's no sexuality involved; and while I don't see how adding an erotic element would detract from this picture in any way, I must admit that there is a certain intrigue to the concept of a lifestyle where beautiful people perform normal, everyday activities entirely without clothes.

That is, opposed to reserving that outfit strictly for sexual (or otherwise private - in which none but a hallowed few receive the privilege of observation) encounters. For, even as sexually progressive as I am, I wouldn't be comfortable being surrounded by sex all the time. Yet my eyes have never once drunk their fill of looking at beautiful naked bodies; that thirst is unquenchable.


My fantasy is to live in a world where such sights are commonplace. Reality can, at times, approach this utopic vision, but only with great effort, and only in fleeting approximation. It is this fantasy that my photography is engineered to evoke; in my best moments, I can capture a little part of that vision of naked beauty that lives in my head. But, alas, I am not getting any younger or prettier.

Chasing the ghost of that vision, and trying to recreate the excitement I felt the first time it appeared to me, is what keeps me shooting like a madman, even when by all rights I should stop and have a rest. Taking pictures won't bring my dream to life, but so long as it allows me to occasionally catch glimpses of that world, as if through a window, I will continue to pursue. This is, without a doubt, my life's passion.

3 comments:

  1. Your life passion and I LOVE it so much. For me you represent that dream of naked beauty, freedom and sensuality. You are not getting younger (or prettier???) but you are getting better. And who said that older is not sexy or beautiful. With your so beautiful androgynous body zharth, you will remain always attractive, older but still very attractive and desirable, believe me. Keep posting zharth, I am completely under your androgynous charm. Thanks for making me dreaming this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to dwell too much on the negative, but I'm the one who says it. It's me. I admire the wisdom and experience that comes with age, but on a purely superficial level - and photography is primarily (not exclusively, to be sure, but primarily) based on appearances - youth is the form in which beauty speaks to me.

      I'm not unrealistic - I don't like to focus too much on my age, but I'm almost 40 years old and I still consider myself an icon of beauty. However, every year I wear myself out having to photoshop out new wrinkles on my body. It's not sustainable. I know there are better artists than me that can make old age look beautiful. It's just not what speaks to me, personally.

      If I want advice, I'd sooner speak to someone with more years under their belt. If I want to make pretty pictures, I'd prefer to have somebody with less wear on their treads. Just because it sounds mean or it's not fair or whatever, that won't change my feelings. And I'm not in the business of self-delusion. That's my truth about beauty.

      All that said, with my people skills, I will probably never shoot another model (although I'd like to). And I just can't imagine a world without me expressing myself this way. So I probably will continue on, till I'm old and grey. I'll just have to lower my standards accordingly as I go. The hard part, as it always has been, will be coming to terms with the fact that I'll never be the legend I dreamed of in my mind.

      Delete
  2. I see your point zharth and I agree. But on your last phrase... you are a great artist, very beautiful and attractive, very creative and imaginative. It is very sad you don't receive all the attention, the popularity, the recognition you REALLY deserve as a model and artist.

    ReplyDelete