Thursday, November 1, 2018

School Dress Code

Welcome to class, students. Please take your seats. Now, as there've been some recent controversies about students' choice of dress, I thought it would be prudent to take a few minutes to review the school dress code. As you know, the school board has elected not to instigate a uniform policy, as they believe it is important for you to express yourselves individually through your choice of dress. However, we do have a certain standard that needs to be met, in order to uphold the reputation of this school. As such, there are a few rules that need to be followed. I have asked one of our students to come up in front of the class and talk us through these rules.


Okay. Here is our school dress code. Firstly, it is important to note that all of these rules apply equally to both sexes. That means both boys and girls.


Rule number one. The midriff rule. Tops and bottoms may not overlap. As you can see, my shirt and my skirt are not overlapping. There is lots of space between them.


Rule number two. The fingertip rule. Skirts and shorts may not extend past the fingertips. So, if you stand up straight, with your arms by your sides, your fingertips must extend past the end of your skirt or your shorts.


Rule number three. The heel rule. All shoes must have heels at least three inches long. If you take a ruler and measure the heels on my shoes, you'll see that they are just about three inches long.


Rule number four. This one's kind of embarrassing. Skirts may not be worn with underwear. As you can see, I am not wearing anything underneath my skirt.


Finally, uniform inspections will be conducted daily. Violators will be subject to disciplinary action. Please be aware that this school does use corporal punishment.


Thank you!


Have you ever caught yourself worrying about being called up to the front of the class while sporting a raging boner? And how embarrassing that would be? Well, just be thankful you weren't wearing a skirt with no underwear!


Or what about one of those dreams where you find yourself giving a presentation in front of an audience, and you're not wearing pants? Or you're naked? Have you ever had one of those?


"Whew! That's a relief. What a lucky day to forget my clothes!"


"As you can see, the school dress code clearly implies that we are to come to school naked!"

"Alright, that's enough. I hope you enjoy being a smartass, because when I'm done with you, your ass is really going to be smarting. And since you don't appear to be very shy, we can do it right in front of the class. Assume the position."


Behind The Scenes - The Making of a Schoolgirl

In spite of that ambitious-sounding title, here are just a few selfies I snapped during the process of fixing my hair and putting on my school uniform before the photoshoot.



Postscript: Certainly, if you're an understanding pervert like me, you can skip this last diatribe and just enjoy the sexy pictures, as I do have a habit of overthinking things.

I think a dress code like this one sounds exciting. Why? Because I would really enjoy dressing this way. And although there's not necessarily any laws against it (outside of contexts that do have dress codes), there's a lot of societal pressure bearing down on you to conform, which makes it very hard to express your individual personality sometimes. A dress code like this would not only permit me to dress this way - without any hassle - but indeed, it would expect me to. (This is one of the reasons I love dressing up at conventions so much - there's an expectation that people are going to wear outrageous things, and I don't feel so out of place). My expression of individuality would now become the norm.

Of course, this isn't the point of freedom, but this is exactly the mistake that most people who are in the majority tend to make. They take for granted their majoritarian privilege, and then treat minorities unfairly. I wouldn't really want to live in a world that forces everybody to be like me, I just think that if we're forcing people to be some way, it'd be nice if that way were the way I already am - that it would be better than a world where everybody else forces me to be like them. All I want is a little taste of how comforting that must feel, to be part of the majority - such a massive and influential group. It's a reassuring fantasy. Ideally, of course, we would live in a world with freedom of choice, where everybody recognizes the value of letting people express themselves, even if it's differently from the majority.

Now, I also like the idea of this dress code because I can imagine seeing other people that I am attracted to dressed this way. Obviously, I don't have any stirring desire to see just anyone dressed like this - there are probably quite a few I'd prefer not to. Sadly, this argument is always used to restrict people's freedoms - all people. But I wouldn't take away anyone's freedom to choose to dress this way, regardless of what I thought about how they looked. But I certainly wouldn't demand they dress this way, either. On the other hand, a strict dress code would ensure that when an attractive person does come along, they will be dressed in a way that appeals to me. Again, I recognize that this is not a fair demand, but in this world, we do have dress codes, and more often than not, they restrict people from dressing like this. So I thought it would be fun to have a dress code with an inverted set of priorities for a change.

Ideally, everyone should just have true freedom of choice. Even to choose not to dress if they so desire. We can certainly have reasonable rules in society for purposes of hygiene and safety and things like that (and there should be an open discussion of what those rules should look like). But I just can't stand it when, just because one group of people with influence and authority (e.g., the Christian church) doesn't like something - because it's "immoral" or whatever, which is really just saying that it doesn't live up to their arbitray set of standards, which could be completely different from another person's set of standards. I, for example, think it's immoral to cover your nakedness when surrounded by nature, provided the weather's not too inclement to do so comfortably. And it really rankles me that for some reason these people think their standards are better than anyone else's standards (which violates the fundamental principles of society).

But that's not even the worst part. They're perfectly justified in going through life thinking they're superior to everyone else - that's just human nature. But when it comes to determining the rule of law, it's not right to use force - compelling the police and justice system to go out and enforce collective community standards - to make other people live by someone else's arbitrary standards for behavior. Just because your standards "represent the majority". It's called tyranny of the majority, and this pattern is so odious, and so obviously odious to me, that I can't believe in this modern, allegedly progressive society we still let it happen!

Except that, statistically speaking, most people are average, and because we live in a democracy, the mob rules, and most people are mostly fine with things the way they are (not because it's right, but because it's comfortable), and aren't particularly motivated to change it. That's why any disenfranchised minority - Jews, blacks, women, gays - have had to fight tooth and nail for the rights they should be entitled to at birth. They have to pry justice out of the greedy hands of the collective. And you still think we live in some kind of political utopia? We're just marching along by the skin of our teeth, making shit up as we go along.

Some people say the fact that we live in a country where the disenfranchised can fight for justice is precisely why we're so progressive - in other places, you could be executed for speaking out. Of course, this is entirely true. But everything is relative, and think about where your standard is being set. Do you really have such a limited imagination, that you can't conceive of a better world, where perfectly decent people whose only perceived "flaw" is an arbitrary, sometimes even superficial quality (like the color of their skin) don't have to fight for justice, but are granted it as a matter of fact? I can. And that's my standard. Which is why I'm so disappointed with what we've got. I'm forward-thinking, not backward-looking, but you have to be to be one of those who helps to drive progress forward.

tl;dr - I don't actually want to force you to wear crop tops, high heels, and short skirts without underwear. I just like to imagine an alternate reality where I could do so without getting shit for it. But what I can't imagine is a good argument for why your not liking these items should have any bearing whatsoever on my choice of dress any more than my liking them does (let alone what little bearing my liking them has on your choice of dress). It's logically inconsistent. Why can't I choose what you have to wear, if you get to choose what I can't? What gives your opinion the authority to supercede my own? Except that yours is backed up by the full force of the establishment - historical tradition, and mob authority. That might sound fine to you, because you're lucky enough to be part of that mob. But to me, it sounds an awful lot like fascism. Democratic fascism - authoritarianism by majority rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment